History

bayernhafen history

The Kingdom of Bavaria recognised the importance of an efficient traffic infrastructure at an early stage. This is why harbours were established at the important points of intersection of its transport carriers. Due to their locational importance, harbours emerged in Ludwigshafen, Regensburg, Passau und Aschaffenburg even before World War I.
When the regional railways merged with the German Reich Railways in 1920, the Free State of Bavaria contractually retained its state harbours that it had expanded to supply the Bavarian State Railways. Since these harbours had previously been run by the rail administration as ancillary operations, the need arose for a new organisation.

The Ports of Bavaria Authority is established
An Act dated 27th August 1925 regulated the establishment of port authorities in Ludwigshafen, Aschaffenburg, Regensburg and Passau. Jointly, they formed the authority Ports of Bavaria that fell under the State Building Authority, which in turn reported to the State Ministry of the Interior.
In 1931, the Passau Port Authority was dissolved and the discontinued authority was assigned to the Regensburg Port Authority. After World War II, Bavaria lost Ludwigshafen, Speyer and Maximiliansau harbours alongside some territories west of the Rhine. In the ancestral territory, the Regensburg and Aschaffenburg Port Authorities remained Bavarian with the harbours associated with them.

From port authority to enterprise
On 1st April 1953, a paradigm shift occurred. The until then still individually operated government port authorities (= income / expenditure account) were combined into a commercially run enterprise and the foundation was laid for their entrepreneurial direction.
A further Bavarian port authority was established in Bamberg in 1958 to replace the old city harbour of Prinz-Ludwig-Hafen established in 1912. For this purpose the Bamberg Port Authority was established on 13th May 1958. The harbour was inaugurated on 25th September 1962 and the completion of the expansion of the River Main could be celebrated at the same time.


Nuremburg becomes a port city
On 11th November 1966, the so-called harbour agreement was signed in Nuremburg. It was designed to regulate administrative and financial relations between the city of Nuremberg and the Free State of Bavaria in the building and running of the state harbour. The Nuremberg Port Authority was established on 1st September 1967 for this purpose. The latest Bavarian state harbour was officially declared open by the then governor Alfons Goppel on 11th August 1972. Simultaneously, the Main-Danube Canal to Nuremberg was completed.

1992 marked the opening of the Main-Danube Canal. The link between the North Sea and the Black Sea was completed. 

On 1st January 1995, Nuremberg harbour operations were transferred to the newly established Hafen Nürnberg-Roth GmbH, in which today’s Bayernhafen GmbH & Co. KG has an 80% share, while the remaining shareholders are the City of Nuremberg with 19% and the City of Roth with 1%.

2005 – Ports of Bavaria Authority becomes Bayernhafen GmbH & Co. KGA new era begins for the former Ports of Bavaria Authority on 1st June 2005. Owing to a decision by the cabinet dating back to 2004, the Ports of Bavaria Authority becomes the privately run Bayernhafen GmbH & Co. KG. With these changes in legal structure, new options arose with regard to financing, investment and exploitation of new business segments.

For its part, the corporate group has a share in the operating companies of the newly established terminals for combined transport in Nuremberg (2006), Bamberg (2008) and Aschaffenburg (2012).

Stay in touch XING YouTube